With all the holiday treats and parties, plus the busy hustle and bustle disrupting usual exercise times, many people will gain weight this holiday season. But, you don't have to-plan/think of opportunities that will allow you time to exercise in some not so usual places!
- Take the stairs, not the elevator.
- Park your car farther away than usual.
- Take the bus, and then get off early to walk the rest of the way.
- Shovel snow yourself, instead of having the kids do it.
- Walk the mall briskly when you shop and are going from store to store.
- Carry your shopping purchases with you, rather than taking them to the car. Carrying the added weight will burn up calories.
- Dance at holiday parties, rather than stand next to the buffet table.
- Clean and vacuum the house with vigor.
- Walk on your lunch hour or your coffee break.
- Don't use the drive-up. Park your car and walk into the bank or grocery store.
- Enter a building from an entrance farthest from your destination.
It is important to remember that exercise does not have to be done in a big block of time. If you do three 10 minute walks or two 15 minute walks, that adds up to 30 minutes of exercise for the day.
That holiday five does not have to show up on your scale if you do not over indulge in holiday food/drinks. Exercising whenever you can for at least 30 minutes a day will help keep you from the usual New Year's diet.
For more information about any cancer concern, contact:
Cancer Information Service
Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center
UI Hospitals and Clinics
200 Hawkins Drive, 4802 JPP
Iowa City, Iowa 52242